Brigham Young University Amateur Radio Club (BYUARC) was founded in 1949 and has been headquartered in several places on BYU campus over the years, finally coming to its permanent location in the Wilkinson Student Center in the 1970s. For many years the club held the call sign W7OHR, assigned by the FCC. After the FCC began to allow “vanity” call signs in the mid-1990s, the club submitted for and was awarded the call sign N7BYU.
BYU Amateur Radio Club has a long history of promoting and advancing the art and science of amateur radio, encouraging emergency preparedness and service, promoting international goodwill, and providing public service and emergency communications, particularly for the BYU community. Club members have participated in and learned from simulated emergency test exercises, and have provided valuable communications services in the aftermath of several national and international disasters – the Teton Dam ID flood of 1976, Mexico City earthquake in 1985, Northridge CA earthquake in 1994, and Hurricane Katrina, to name several. In addition, the club regularly participates in scheduled BYU-sponsored events, providing public service communications for the annual Rex E Lee Run, Hike and Light the Y, and Homecoming Parade, for instance. Club members make contact and forge friendships with other ham radio operators around campus, around Utah Valley, and around the world, as well as promote the reputation and values of Brigham Young University.
Cub headquarters are located in the Wilkinson Student Center (WSC) room 3278 on BYU campus, and resources include HF, VHF, UHF, and satellite tracking equipment in the “shack” as well as both 2-meter and 70-cm repeaters, with Echolink on the 2-m repeater. In addition, the club hosts a 2-m digipeater, located at the LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Weekly meetings or activities are held Tuesdays during Fall and Winter Semesters (BYUSA Clubs Night) at 7:00 PM in the WSC. Plus, there is a weekly “Net” on the 2-m repeater (145.330-, 100Hz PL) on Thursday evenings at 9:00 PM.